SA Xtreme Wheelchair Basketball
Designed for children with physical disabilities only, this program prepares athletes entering the Paralympic pipeline by adhering to Paralympic rules and structure for wheelchair basketball. Athletes who ambulate with or without an assistive device are welcome and encouraged to participate because, when everyone uses a sports chair, the playing field is leveled. Dribbling, passing, and shooting skills will be taught as well as rules and strategies of the game. Learn more about scholarships here.
Appropriate for children who walk independently.
Appropriate for children who use an assistive device.
Appropriate for children who use a wheelchair.
- Must only have a physical disability
- Successful tryout or recommendation by staff
- Possess the skill and desire to compete at a higher level
- Must be able to comprehend and retain rules and skills, and then build upon them from week to week
- 1:1 support is not provided, so must be able to train, compete, function in a group setting and follow the coach’s directions without volunteer assistance
- Athletes will train with the goal of participating in competitions in and/or out of San Antonio
Once weekly practices
Monthly fee based on practices and competitions
- Must demonstrate independent wheelchair agility, including propelling 200 ft. independently with good form and alignment
- Must be able to independently propel a sports chair for the entirety of practice
- Must be able to pass and dribble the ball
- Must be able to follow directions and stay on task without assistance
- Athletes must be cleared for minimal contact
- Eligibility for competition is based on practice attendance, skill, and knowledge of the sport