Monday, July 31 – Friday, August 4, 2023
University United Methodist Church
5185 De Zavala Road, San Antonio, 78249
Registration coming soon!
Due to the generosity of the Believe It Foundation, Kinetic Kids collaborates with the national organization iCan Shine to offer a 5-day bike camp program in the summer. During camp, children with special needs learn to ride a conventional bicycle without training wheels. Children attend a 75-minute session for five consecutive days of camp.
The $175 fee includes a t-shirt and trophy and is payable by credit card or check to Kinetic Kids. Fee can be paid in two installments: $125 is due at the time of registration, the remaining $50 is due by August 1, 2021. Learn more about scholarships by calling Shelby at 210.748.5860.
Refunds must be requested by July 20 to receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative fee. After July 20, refunds will be granted based on our ability to fill the space with a new participant. Once the camp begins, no refunds will be granted.
- Your child will be expected to be at bike camp for 5 consecutive days for 75 minutes a day.
- Session times include: 8:30-9:45, 10:05-11:20, 11:40-12:50, 2-3:15, 3:35-4:50. While we will do our best to honor your request, we cannot guarantee your session time request as there are many factors that determine our sessions (i.e. number of kids and diagnosis).
- Parents must stay on-site during your child’s session.
- We encourage each participant to bring their own bike to camp by Wednesday, August 4, 2022. If you have not yet purchased a bike, or your child is in need of a new bike, please see guidelines for purchasing a bike that will be sent once your child is registered.
- If you are coming in from out of town, and are unable to bring a bike, accommodations can be made. All bike camp participants will receive a bike camp t-shirt and a trophy.
- Must be 8 years of age
- Ambulatory without an assistive device
- Able to pedal a bicycle with training wheels
- Able to sidestep quickly to both sides.
- Able to wear a properly fitted bike helmet for the 75-minute session.
- Min inseam measurement of 20″ (Min height is 40″)
- Max weight is 220 lbs.
- It is important to consider behavioral issues as you evaluate this program for your child. An individual may be physically able to ride a bike, but if their behavior is such that they cannot be persuaded to get on the bike and follow instructions, then it is likely this program will not be successful.
- Individuals with severe behavioral issues may be removed from the program if their actions are potentially harmful to themselves or others.
- While not “required” to come to camp, these factors do impact the likelihood of any given participant’s success in learning to ride a two-wheel bicycle at an iCan Shine bike camp, therefore we recommend that participants:
- are able to keep feet on pedals
- are able to keep hands on the handlebars
- are able to keep head up and look forward
- have adequate strength to maintain riding speed
- have adequate stamina to ride 75 minutes per day for 5 consecutive days
- are able to follow basic instructions in a group setting
- are motivated, or able to be motivated, to learn to ride a bike
- have an opportunity to practice skills immediately following the camp
Tracey Fontenot, P.T. | 210.748.5867 | Tracey@kinetickidstx.org
Shelby Hunemiller | 210.748.5860 | Shelby@kinetickidstx.org
Bike Camp FAQs
When is the next camp?
July 31 – August 4, 2023
When will registration begin?
Registration opening soon! Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
What if my child needs to miss a day?
Your child will be expected to be at bike camp 5 consecutive days, for 75 minutes a day.
Do I need to stay with my child?
Parents must stay on site during your child’s session. You will also need to attend the MANDATORY parent informational meeting on Sunday evening, prior to bike camp.
Do I need to bring a bike for my child?
Each participant will need to have their own bike ready to bring to camp by Wednesday of bike camp week. If you have not yet purchased a bike, or your child is in need of a new bike, please wait and review the bike guidelines will we will send once your child is registered. If you are coming in from out of town, and are unable to bring a bike, accommodations can be made.
What is the refund policy?
Refunds must be requested by July 20, 2022 to receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative fee. After July 20, 2022, refunds will be granted based on our ability to fill the space with a new participant. Once the camp begins, no refunds will be granted. Once the camp begins, refunds will only be granted for a medical emergency. A pro-rated refund will be granted with a doctor’s written verification.
What if I still have questions?
Tracey Fontenot, P.T. | 210.748.5867 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelby Hunemiller | 210.748-5860 | Shelby@kinetickidstx.org