Track & Field is offered to athletes with a desire to participate in Paralympic-style training and competition. We offer training in the following sports: ambulatory track, wheelchair track, standing field and seated field. Wheelchair racers, field chairs and all throwing implements are provided for use at all practices and meets. The functional level of the athlete will determine in which events the athlete will be trained. Learn more about scholarships here.
Xtreme coaches offer techniques and training to increase speed, endurance, strength and agility for athletes. Athletes will train to compete in local and regional meets both in and out of state with the goal to qualify for Junior Nationals.
- Must only have a physical disability
- Successful tryout or recommendation by staff
- Possess the skill and desire to compete at a higher level
- Must be able to comprehend and retain rules and skills, and then build upon them from week to week
- 1:1 support is not provided, so must be able to train, compete, function in a group setting and follow the coach’s directions without volunteer assistance
- Athletes will train with the goal of participating in competitions in and/or out of San Antonio
Ambulatory Track Requirements
- Athlete must be ambulatory with or without an assistive device
- Must be able to complete a 1/2-mile (2 laps)
Wheelchair Track Requirements
- Athlete can be ambulatory and still compete in wheelchair events
- Athletes must be able to propel 100 meters independently with good form and alignment
- Sport chairs are provided for use during the season
- Athlete must be able to safely and independently throw field implements by following verbal instructions