SA Premier Dance program offers participants a chance to learn dance technique styles in ballet, tap and a hip-hop/jazz fusion. Athletes should be interested in learning dance at a higher level, as well as developing routines for final performances. Learn more about scholarships here.
A dance-specific coach will offer techniques for participants to learn movements and work towards a final performance. Athletes do not need to be completely ambulatory, but must be able to independently move their arms with task modification, if necessary.
- Athlete may have a physical or intellectual disability
- Successful tryout or recommendation by staff
- Possess the skill and desire to compete at a higher level
- Must be able to comprehend and retain rules and skills, and then build upon them from week to week
- 1:1 support is not provided, so must be able to train, compete, function in a group setting and follow the coach’s directions without volunteer assistance
- Athletes will train with the goal of participating in competitions in and/or out of San Antonio
- Athlete should have an understanding of spatial awareness and be able to control their movements in class for safety
- Able to learn and remember new terminology and steps each week in various dance styles